8 ways to beat hot flushes
If you are struggling
with hot flushes, here are some simple ways to cool down.
If you are on medication
and have other health issues
– or these changes to
your lifestyle don’t work,
come and see me for your own hormone balancing programme
- Keep up your water. Try 6 to 8 glasses of cold water flavoured with a slice of lemon or lime This tastes good and boosts your vitamin C levels.
- Eat food rich in phytonutrients such as lentils and chickpeas or tempeh twice to three times week. Include cold water fish such as sardines, salon and skip jack tuna for omega 3.And n enjoy plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts and seeds.
- Avoid spicy food.
- Wear layer of clothes made from natural, breathable material such as hemp or cotton- so if you get hot, you can easily strip down a layer.
- Have a cold shower before going to bed and keep a fan by the bed to cool you down.
- Cut out alcohol or at least reduce to the occasional glass of wine.
- Stress makes hot flushes worse- so try deep breathing if you feel a hot flush coming on. To chill out long-term, have regular massages, take up yoga or Tai Chi and/ or go to counselling to sort out underlying issues.
- Replace coffee and tea with herbal teas. A good dried herbal infusion to stop hot flushes is:
sage 1 teaspoon, spearmint ½ teaspoon and lavender flower ½ teaspoon of dried herb. Steep 2 teaspoons of the herbal mix in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes. Keep covered . Strain. Drink 2-3 cups daily.