How can we use computers and keep our bodies healthy and free from strain? Here are 5 tips for clever computer use:
1. Avoid injury by arranging workstations so they encourage good posture. See the pictures above for ideas. Mixing standing and sitting with a flexi desk is a great idea if possible.
2. Every 20 minutes, looking away into the distance for 20 seconds helps avoid eye strain and headaches
3. Breaking up the day with simple, easy exercises relaxes and stretches our muscles. Neck stretches, hands shakes and back stretches are a good start. See University of Michigan's exercise plan for more ideas.
4. Getting up and moving restores balance to our bodies. At least every 10 minutes, take a short (10-20 second) break. Take your hands off the keyboard and move! Every 30-60 minutes, take a longer (5 -10 minute) break to stretch and/or walk around.
5. To reduce damage to eyes from the glare of screens-and stop disruption to sleep, use f.lux to automatically dim your display as your room gets darker.
For more ideas see University of Michigan's excellent article .
Sarah Isaacs, Naturopath
Ph (07) 4085 0054