Do you want to wake up in the morning and bounce out of bed?
Here are 5 ways to increase your energy and decrease your biological age:
1. Exercise reduces our risk of diabetes, stroke, cancer and even dementia. Also regular exercise has been found to be the most effective way to improve long term mental health. If possible, aim for half an hour walking, running, cycling or whatever you enjoy. Try to do this a minimum of 5 days a week. Start slowly, build up gradually and enjoy the feeling of gaining strength and vitality.
2. As we get older, we can become set in our ways. But we can become more flexible mentally by changing our habits and hobbies: driving to work a different route, learning a new language, taking up a new sport or past time. The possibilities are limitless…
3. We can eat more raw food- i.e. fresh, uncooked vegetables, fruit, seed and nuts, preferably organic. An easy way to do this is to have a big salad every day. Fill it up with dark green, leafy salad leaves plus red, orange and yellow vegetables. If your digestion is weak, try lightly steaming vegetables first.
4. Relax into healing- try yoga, tai chi or meditation. A great way to start is to try yoga nidra or guided relaxation-and sink into a deep state of peace. Yoga Vic do great yoga nidra audio downloads.
5. We can fill our lives with gratitude and cultivate optimism. Negative emotions like anger and resentment deplete us of energy. So how can we reprogramme our minds to a more positive outlook? One way is if we ask better questions: “ How can I be happier?” “What would give me more energy now?” “ How can I cope with this?”. Affirmations also can be very powerful. Choose something that makes you feel uplifted and inspired!
Sarah Isaacs, Naturopath
Ph (07) 4085 0054